This CNBC Money article has up-to-date advice on how to be sure your forgiveness plan will work:
- Make sure you’re in a William D. Ford Direct Loan Program — the key word is “direct.” You may be able to consolidate other federal loans into a direct loan.
- You must be in an income-driven repayment plan. Graduated & extended plans don’t qualify.
- Your employer must qualify: government at any level, 501(c)(3) nonprofits and some others.
- Forgiveness is only available after 120 payments, not necessarily consecutively.
- Submit the Employment Certification Form annually. See here. While not required, it may head off problems.